Tuesday 2 April 2013

Osteolysis and pressing. - CrossFit Discussion Board

Osteolysis and pressing. - CrossFit Discussion Board

Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Member Alex Eltherington is offline

Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chrsitchurch  New Zealand
Posts: 52
Osteolysis and pressing.

OK so I imagine I am going to get a bit of flak for this, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have been doing a lot of work recently to improve my upper body strength because while my deadlift is heading towards double bodyweight my bench is about 2/3 bw, which sucks. However I've just been diagnosed with osteolysis of the distal clavicle and been told not to do any push exercises for a while.

So my question is are there any push exercises that I can keep doing that wont aggravate the injury. Especially when I don't know how long I'm going to be out of action for (It's already been more then 4 weeks) and I don't think I can afford to not work on my upper body and I'm not sure just dips and pullups are enough - could be wrong though.
__________________
185cm 88kg
Deadlift: 145kg, Squat: 140kg, Press: 65kg, Bench: 80kg
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Member Steven Low is offline

Steven Low's Avatar

Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,219
Re: Osteolysis and pressing.

Any time you're getting problems with the articular cartilage and by extension osteolysis this is almost always a problem of diet -- e.g. excessive inflammation coupled with too much stress at that joint.

If you have been eating crappy all your life (lots of processed foods, sugars, etc) then it's highly likely that the chronic inflammation generated from diet negatively affects the proper repair of articular cartilage.

Once it starts to wear down and fracture/eburnation the body tries to clean that up and with osteolysis you tend to get "excessive" cleanup of the area (can be autoimmune or may not be) including bone resorption (aka the osteolysis).

If you have this it would be a good idea to decrease the activity there and let your body normalize, but that is not the primary cause of the problem as I've already talked about.

Arthritis, in general, is a problem of chronic inflammation. Our body has repair mechanisms to heal the body of wear and tear use of articular cartilage...... but it cannot do so when our diet is poor and thus that's why you have hundreds of thousands of people now in the U.S. who need knee replacements, hip replacements, etc.
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Member Alex Eltherington is offline

Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chrsitchurch  New Zealand
Posts: 52
Re: Osteolysis and pressing.

That's really interesting.
I was told buy my doctor that they didn't know what caused this in some people and not in others, but this would make sense.

Diet has been the root cause of a few other problems I have had in the past.
I have however been strictly Paleo (With a few minor hiccups) for over six months so it seems odd that this has happened now and not when I first started CrossFit.

So if this is the case then should the fact that my diet is better now be enough to stop the degeneration of the bone?

I don't know, I'm not even 100% that the doctors has got it right. Seems to me she just found something because she was looking for it... The X-ray had one black spot about 2 mm in from the edge of the bone and no feathering. I haven't even had an ultrasound.
__________________
185cm 88kg
Deadlift: 145kg, Squat: 140kg, Press: 65kg, Bench: 80kg
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Member Steven Low is offline

Steven Low's Avatar

Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,219
Re: Osteolysis and pressing.

No. Any type of injury situation is giong to be weaker than if you had no injury... so continually eating clean while continually exercises isn't a good idea.

It's certainly possible you can get it JUST from overuse of the body part though and diet may not be a factor.

If you suspect something is a bit off you can see a different orthopedic doc and see what they say...
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Reply